Today the Football Association of Ireland has recognised the club as the oldest existing club in Ireland and it seems even back in 1885 Clones were winning games. During that late 1800 period, they also had inter-county tournaments with one early record and picture showing a ‘Monaghan County’ team made up entirely of Clones players. These were Molloy, Michael Elliott Knight, Donnelly, Parke, Cole, William Lendrum, James Lendrum, Johnston, Luke Patrick Knight (Captain), Lowe, and Whitsitt. This team beat an Armagh County team 3-1 before 4,000 spectators in Monaghan on the 15th of April 1887. As Clones played in numerous league structures because there was no league structure in the North East region, its name, as was not uncommon at the time, was changed as it entered the different leagues. Just as Manchester United evolved from Newton Heath L&YR (which stood for “Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway”) so too Clones Town FC has evolved over the years since its inception with the names Clones FC, Clones Eire Ogs, Clones Red Hands, Clones Celtic, Clones United , Clones Town FC, and many other names used. Indeed the Fermanagh and Western League Mercer League Division 1 records in 1910/11 season show a team called Clones Celtic winning that competition.